.....Return here to the What The Fire Said home page.....

Frankenstein



For me, the true horror of this story is not the creature created by Frankenstein, but the unrelenting, remorseless tragedy of the unfolding events. Reading Mary Shelley's narrative is like being on a speeding train that you know is going to crash, but which you cannot get off. One thing that her protagonist Victor Frankenstein and I share, however, is a fondness for the works of Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, and I have here incorporated the title page of his Occult Philosophy into my image. Agrippa's writings had a huge impact on 16th-century Europe. Albrecht Dürer was impressed enough by them to include one of Agrippa's illustrations - the magic square of Jupiter - in his masterpiece engraving Melencolia 1. Agrippa found a new audience with the 19th-century Romantics, and I feel the sonority of all that history when I open the pages of the hefty volume of his collected works that is on my own bookshelf.



The central image of the creature is my own oil painting, with Leonardo da Vinci's anatomical studies and Robert Fludd's universal human proportions also included.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to share your thoughts.