.....Return here to the What The Fire Said home page.....

An Arrow already in Flight



The 5th-century BCE philosopher Zeno of Elea devised engaging paradoxes whose logic seems flawless, but which defy our everyday experience. One of his better-known paradoxes claims that an arrow in flight cannot actually move, because it already is occupying the space where it is, so cannot progress towards the space where it is not, and it cannot move to where it is, because it is already there. Our practical experience tells us that the shaft will find its mark in spite of Zeno's whimsical reality-defying reasoning, which has the arrow frozen motionless both in time and in space.

From Ancient Greece to an Ancient Egypt shrouded in gods and myths, and the semi-mythical figure known to the Egyptians as Thoth, and to the Greek mystery schools as Hermes Trismegistus: Hermes the Thrice-great. One of the sayings attributed to Hermes is:

"Death is an arrow already in flight, and our life lasts only as long as it takes to reach us."

Expressing not so much a gloomy fatalism as more of a profound acceptance, embracing the truth of this statement can bring a sense of peace, and with it a simple consolation. At this lengthening-shadows time of my life, I find much peace in Hermes' statement. But I also have a sense of there being so much for me still to do, and a part of me kind of hopes that Zeno's charmingly whimsical logic might stay the arrow long enough for me to complete what I feel is needed of me.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to share your thoughts.