.....Return here to the What The Fire Said home page.....

Sappho



Sappho

The skies are dark
and raw Aegean winds
betray the sounds of your approach:
chattering sparrows
that draw your car of gold and chalcedony.
I wonder: do you come for me?
Why should you? When many another
would be glad enough of your visit
and think you generous,
passing around portions of love
to mortals grateful for such trinkets,
and willing enough to make some offering
in thanks to you, great Aphrodite.

For me, there is the heaving sea
beneath these cliffs,
deep as all the mysteries
voiced by gentle Orpheus
and as full of promise.
For me, there are these island lines,
limned with the dew of a thousand mornings 
lying amber in dawn’s light
on the lithe and olive softness
of my lovers.
For me, there are these grey stones,
as hard and as dark
as your love truly is,
and as cold.

Why should you come to me,
great Aphrodite? Do you wish finally 
to learn what love really is?
Do you wish me to teach you?
My love is not bestowed by a god.
My love is fire stolen from heaven.
My love would burn the sun’s face,
rake tracks across the moon
with cruel bright talons.
My love is without mercy.
My love takes no prisoners.
My love is the pain and terror
of a beast caught in a trap.
My love is a torch that burns
all who touch it, when they imagine
that all that it does is light their way.

No, great goddess. I do not need you,
with your golden sparrow-drawn car
and your love-charms pleasing to mortals
grateful for trinkets.
No, great goddess. It is you,
you, who needs me. 

© David Bergen

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to share your thoughts.